How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3087
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

We are currently in the process of trying to purchase a

Customer Question

Good Afternoon, we are currently in the process of trying to purchase a house and are receiving a very poor service from the solicitors acting not only on our behalf but also on behalf of the vendor. This has been ongoing since April and we are not getting anywhere. Is there any action we can take?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: All paperwork has been submitted, in some cases more than once. There are solar panels on the property which were initially holding up the sale but these were purchased by the vendor on 9th August 2021. All we are waiting for is confirmation from the Solar panel solicitors to confirm purchase has been made.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Other than chasing our solicitors, no.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that we have had to chase the solicitors every step of the way to get anything done and we are still waiting. We rent and the house we are buying is empty so there is no chain holding it up.
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 20 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 20 days ago.

Hi there,

The Solicitor’s Code of Conduct provides that a solicitor must not represent both parties to the transaction if there is a conflict of interest or a significant risk of there being a conflict at some point during the matter.

There are two types of conflicts of interests:

1. “Own Interest Conflict”: this is where a solicitor’s duty to act in a client’s best interest conflicts with their own interests (e.g. a financial or personal interest)
2. “Client Conflict”: this is any situation where the solicitor carries out separate duties in the best interests of two or more clients in relation to the same or related matters – but those duties conflict or there is a significant risk that they will conflict.

So, same solicitor should be avoided for the both parties as it can cause conflict in client's interest.

If there has been lack of professional conduct/due diligence /or deficiency in the professional services of the solicitor

then you can raise a formal complaint against them via their internal complaint procedure.

You can also escalate it to Solicitors regulatory authority, you can report the solicitor/ firm online using the below web link-

You can also make a complaint to Legal ombudsman , which can be done online using the below website-

you can escalate it to legal ombudsman for the refund of your legal fee

And to SRA so that they can investigate the matter, they have powers to take disciplinary action against the solicitors , including suspending their practising certificates.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 20 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.