Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have rented a property for 6 years with an agreement to

Customer Question

I have rented a property for 6 years with an agreement to buy at an agreed figure it is a commercial property with licensed dwelling my landlord has never done repairs and he has known since January that the electric is unsafe and a fire risk I pay 2500 per month
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: he has just given me notice that if I don’t get my mortgage sorted by jan 2022 he will sell elsewhere he has also added an extra 100000 to the value
JA: Where is the dwelling located?
Customer: On a 7 acre plot
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I need help with how to go forward and purchase at the correct price as I have had to spend fortunes keeping the property as the ll refused
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can wait
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

How is the purchase agreement recorded, is it in writing?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No verbal

If you have nothing in writing confirming the agreement there will be nothing to hold them to the agreement and certainly not to any agreed price. This is one of the many difficulties with so called rent to buy agreements, they often lack relevant documentation to make them legally enforceable and even when they have some documentation they are so vague as to be largely worthless. I am afraid I cannot see a way to enforce the agreement with no written contract especially as the law states contracts for land have to be in writing to be enforceable. I trust this assists though I appreciate it will be disappointing news.