Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

I am wondering whether what is written in the summary

Customer Question

Hi, I am wondering whether what is written in the summary section of an AST is legally binding. The page does not include "The tenant agrees to:" at the top.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: The AST has been prepared.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's fine thank you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Further, we are dealing with an estate agent that is currently in liquidation. They have claimed that they are undergoing a transformation into a new estate agent, however the AST is still in the name of the company that is currently in liquidation, and not the new company. Does this see strange?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 14 days ago.

Hello,  Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I would be grateful to assist you.  Are you referring to the recitals section?  Has the AST been signed? Is the company number on the AST?  It is possible the company name has been reused - which is possible under the Insolvency Act - but you can tell as the company number of the company liquidation would be different.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Thank you for visiting Just Answer. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi AJ, thank you for your response. Would it be fine if I send an anonymised copy of the AST for you to have look at. The section in question is titled as summary of Terms. However these terms are not repeated anywhere within the AST, they are only mentioned in this section. So far nothing has been signed. An regarding the company number no the number has not been given, we have been told that there will be a different Name in use soon but that during the transition they will still be using the old name for communication purposes, however I found it strange that they are still using this 'old name' on the AST.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 14 days ago.

Hello,  Thank you very much for the additional information. I would be most grateful is you send me the AST annonymised and I will review it. Kind regards AN

Expert:  Alex J. replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I hope all is well - I will await the document for review.  I can confirm that it is possible the lease was signed or sold to a company with the same or a similar name - as a result of insolvency.  If this was done you would have received notice - as they would also have to transfer your depsoit.  Do you have details of your deposit being paid into a secure bond?  I do hope this has been useful so far and look forward to hearing from you.  Kind regards AJ