RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

My wife died had a life insurance policy of 100k I have paid

Customer Question

My wife died had a life insurance policy of 100k I have paid her debts all bar 1 as the policy according to the life insurance company was part of the estate
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Now I'm trying to claim universal credit as I am no longer able to work full time as I'm looking after my 3 young children
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We are in England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: At present there is a best of 26k which I am disputing which is why I have a large amount of money in the account
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can wait a little longer
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If you are dealing with the estate but you are not going to be receiving this money as a beneficiary then you will not require to disclose it to the DWP as part of your own savings etc.  However if you do inherit any money then you would require to disclose this.  There are different types of benefits some are non-means tested which means this wouldn't matter.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau.  They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter.  If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you.  The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP.  This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment.  If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.