How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3487
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My wife died had a life insurance policy of 100k I have paid

Customer Question

My wife died had a life insurance policy of 100k I have paid her debts all bar 1 as the policy according to the life insurance company was part of the estate
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Now I'm trying to claim universal credit as I am no longer able to work full time as I'm looking after my 3 young children
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: We are in England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: At present there is a best of 26k which I am disputing which is why I have a large amount of money in the account
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can wait a little longer
Expert:  RJM Law replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If you are dealing with the estate but you are not going to be receiving this money as a beneficiary then you will not require to disclose it to the DWP as part of your own savings etc.  However if you do inherit any money then you would require to disclose this.  There are different types of benefits some are non-means tested which means this wouldn't matter.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau.  They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter.  If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you.  The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP.  This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment.  If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.