MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I would like some advice regarding my property and whether i

Customer Question

I would like some advice regarding my property and whether i need an HMO license
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, i don't know whether i need one or not
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: it is located in islington. I live in the flat with my tenants, at present there are three, i am looking to get a fourth.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have a separate matter regarding my difficult freeholder but that is a separate question
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

A HMO by its definition is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It’s sometimes called a ‘house share’.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
but i am told that if I live in the household with my tenants it would not be classified as an HMO is that right?

Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

it is rented to 5 or more people who form more than 1 household

some or all tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities

at least 1 tenant pays rent (or their employer pays it for them)

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
You have not answered my question, is this automated?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
you have not properly read my question.

However, even if your property is smaller and rented to fewer people, you may still need a licence depending on the area. Therefore it is always advised to speak with your local council to check.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
you have still not answered my question. thank you i don't think this is helpful. i have waited over 12 hours for very little.

No it is bot automated, please let me know what I have not interpreted correctly in your question.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am the owner of a flat and i live in the property with my tenants do i need an HMO
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i have tried to speak to my council but cannot get through and can find no advice
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It’s a very simple question. Can we cancel now

If you read the above I have set out that your property does not meet the threshold for HMO there will not need the licence.
However there is a very important caveat to this. The government guidance states that you must check with your local council. Who are your local council and I will check if I can get contact details for them. Often these issues are safer clarified in writing.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
thank you, ***** *****'t actually clear. I have PhD in English literature, i can read difficult texts, this is not clear, not at all.

What is it you do not understand?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
there is no more thank you. i simply wanted to know whether i needed an HMO. thank you for giving me the information i needed. it is very late and i am hoping that i can end this conversation now. i have waited for over 12 hours for a response!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Now closing the enquiry.