John
John, Solicitor
Experience:  10 years legal experience
106125879

Is it against law for a old landlord to speak to your new

Customer Question

is it against law for a old landlord to speak to your new landlord about you?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I moved into a property in 2016 and moved out in 2019. We did everything we could in that property but the landlord wasn't happy. Anyway we found out that he didn't but our money in a deposit protect scheme, so we did mange to get out deposit back, but recently I have found out from my current landlord that he has bad mouthed us and emailed pictures to him.
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I just wat to know he is allowed to do that, bad mouth us and email pictures across that may even be fake?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no I think that's it.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also my old landlord didn't put my deposit in a deposit scheme. I was there Aug 2016-March 2019, is it to late to take him to court? I did get my deposit back in the end, but since I have found out he was bad mouthing me and emailing pictures to my other landlord, I would possibly now like to take him to court as this has had an impact on me.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can you cancel my request & refund my £5?
Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get back to you as soon as I can.  I may also need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you. Can you explain what effect it has had on you and what you would like to take him to court for?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would like to take him to court because my current landlord is using what he said against me. He is saying that we left his property in a mess & we didn't,we have pictures to prove it. Apparently he has sent pictures to my current landlord & they could be fake.
This is now getting me really down.
As I have issues with my current landlord & have moved out of his property.
I hope all the above makes sense.
Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

To take someone to court, what you need to do is write them a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why. You will also need to give them a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it is 14 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a claim against them in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this site https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7 and posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527

Salford

Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.

Expert:  John replied 16 days ago.

Hello, just following up on this to ensure you're satisfied with what you need to do. Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help. All the best, John