RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I have a couple of questions about the councils housing

Customer Question

I have a couple of questions about the councils housing department and our treatment.
1/ I have successfully been granted succession to a council lease following the death of the original tenant, should I get some form of paperwork or should my name go on the original lease which I have, also I take it that I have the right to buy with the same discounts?
2/ with regards ***** ***** , and there is an endless list here , can I involve the neighbourhood officer and should he help me to get the property repairs fixed by the council, as I have sent many emails to the repairs department with no success I am thinking about emailing
The officer, should he be able to help me?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 18 days ago.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for the question.   If you. have been granted succession of the lease then yes, you should have the same rights, however they should be providing you with an updated agreement.  If they have agreed to allow you to take on a new lease, the terms of the lease may be different from that of the original, it will depend on how the lease has been transferred.  You are correct that the council should be liable for certain repairs to the property and again these should be outlined in your agreement.  If you are not satisfied with the council's conduct you need to raise this with them and may also seek to involve the housing ombudsman or if required take legal action further down the line.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.