JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

Litigation costs question I am litigant in person, and have

Litigation costs questionI am litigant in person, and have brought a money claim for breach of contract and defective goods for over 23,000. I have used a paralegal and Barrister to help me over the last 12 months, what can I claim in costs?

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

The claim is under £25,000 in value, so you can claim fixed costs under rule 45 (of the Civil Procedure Rules) - how much depends at what stage the case settled at and if you issued court proceedings or not. You can recover legal costs too, as well as any disbursements.
Here is the rule under Part 45: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part45-fixed-costs

If the claim was over £25,000 (known as a fast track case) then costs are not fixed. As it is a fast track case (a claim between £10K and £25K, costs are fixed under Part 45 of the CPR rules).

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
can I claim for a paralegal?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
trial I next week

Yes you can, plus you can claim litigant in person costs of £19 per hour dealing with the claim (under CPR 46.5)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what fried cost for a paralegal?

You can claim lawyer's costs too, so the charges for your paralegal assuming they are reasonable (for a paralegal). You should claim the costs and ask the judge for an order for your costs.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
in your experience what is a reasonable paralegal cost?

It depends what they did for you work-wise so I couldn't say. As a claim is made up of various work for a lawyer including preparation for the trial. It would be up to the judge to decide what is reasonable given the paralegal's bill

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thanks