How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5450
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I find out today from my credit score that southerwater

Customer Question

Hi, I find out today from my credit score that southerwater register default for me
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have two accounts with them and two defaults were register
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Property is in St Leonards / Hastings East Sussex
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I like the solicitor to help me with removing this defaults from my account
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I own two flats in the same building and on both of them I was in the areas of payment. I was not aware of these outstanding charges. One was for £176.07 and the 2nd was for £330.61. There are both paid now
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

please confirm whether you were in arrears with the bills?

Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

If you were in arrears for payments, then the company is totally and legally entitled to enter defaults against you that will appear on the credit file. There is no legal obligation for them to remove these even though you have now settled any debt owed to them for arrears.

Youx can ask them to remove the defaults but it is unlikely they will do so, in which case they will remain for 6 years.

I hope this answers your question.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have a legal duty to inform me of the arrears? Also, I believe I should receive some sort of notification before default ?
At this address, it's a well know problem with missing correspondence. It is a big issue for me to have these defaults on my account and I might lose my business due to this. I was thinking of hiring someone (solicitor) who would try to challenge them and hopefully be able to agree with them to wave back this from my account.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I noticed in the replay to similar subject your colleague suggests sending a letter with a form to Souther Water, do you know by chance what kind of form that is ?
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.
They would have or should have advised of the debt bur can go ahead and place the default.
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.
If only 1 payment was missed and not 3 months in arrears no default should have been added as you were never three months in arrears!Write to the lender, then appeal to the FCA /ICO if the lender refuses to correct it