How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14731
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am a director of an RTM company, we have a contract with a

This answer was rated:

I am a director of an RTM company, we have a contract with a managing agent since 2018 which manage the block on our behalf, however 5 out of the 8 leaseholders either havent paid their service charges (since 2018) or have contributed very little. In 2019 the managing agent instructed solicitors to reclaim the outstanding charges. So far, we have received no money back and the managing agent has notified us that they are terminating their contract (as per the ts&cs) giving us 3 months notice - I believe this is because they arent seeing any money coming in. Any advice on what we can do? Can we dissolve the RTM company and hand full responsibility back to the Freeholder? The cases against 5 leaseholders are still with our solicitors, how do we continue to pursue these? Many thanks, Tom.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, happy to wait for the answer. Thanks for connecting me with the right person to help.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

You could dissolve the RTM and management then reverts to the freeholder, yes. However the landlord will need to also agree to this.

You can involve the First Tier (Property) Tribunal in the dispute. You mention a solicitor acting for you - presumably you have not asked them about this yet?. You should ensure you do not breach the terms of your retainer with your solicitor by looking for advice elsewhere - however this site is an internet forum and not a law firm - we do not give legal advice but information and guidance from a legal standpoint.

The tribunal route is quicker than the county court claims procedure and it's one form which you will need to complete and send to your regional tribunal. The tribunal will then make a decision and indeed it has the power to appoint or remove a management company for another one to ensure good management of the property. I would say this is the best option here.

The Tribunal is made up of 3 people: A lawyer (Chairman), a surveyor/valuer (who could also be Chairman), and a lay person (member of the public). You can present the dispute to them in person or use a firm (such as either of these law firms : or who have a specialist department for these Tribunal claims). The latter firm also offers a free guide on how to change managing agents :

The hearing itself is quite informal. Once made, the order is then binding - if the order is ignored then the county court will recognise it and you can apply for an injunction to force them to comply.

You will need to fill out the relevant form and then email it to your regional Tribunal. The Tribunal should then make a decision within 6-8 weeks. Given the fact solicitors are involved already and the fact you are a director of the RTM, you should really consult a law firm to help with this - either the one which you alluded to in your question, or one of the above law firms would be fine.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 14731
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
JimLawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you