RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I have a question. My one year contract is expiring on

Customer Question

hello I have a question. My one year contract is expiring on september 16th.Letting agent want to increase the price by 400 per calendar month which is huge and he informed us only last week. can i continue living in the flat on a rolling basis up to a certain period? am i protected by law?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have the tenancy agreement
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London Bridge Southwark council London UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  You do perhaps have some legal protection here.  Firstly, you will want to review the lease and see what is under the clauses which cover any rental increase and their right to do this.  Furthermore, a landlord can only realistically increase your rent if the figure they are asking for moving forward reflects the fair market value.   So for example, if similar properties to yours are going for around £1000 per month and you have been paying 600. per month then the landlord could legally and reasonably increase your rent by around £400 per month.  However, if properties were going for around £700 and you were paying £400 it is not likely they would be permitted to increase your rent by this amount.  You can stay in the property and dispute the rent,  what I would advise doing, as soon as possible, is raising this matter with the housing ombudsman, they will be able to advise on your situation and potentially provide a remedy.   Remember you and the landlord can change the lease at any point so long as you are both in agreement.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.