How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8311
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

My husband died on 19th July and the Deeds to our house are

This answer was rated:

My husband died on 19th July and the Deeds to our house are in joini names. Do I need to change the Deeds and what do I need to do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i live in Basingstoke, Hampshire.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i have a copy of the Deeds and aMortgage on the property, 26 West Ham lose
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

You will need a copy of your late husband's death certificate to complete this process.

The form that you will need to complete is here:

You will then need to submit that to the land registry, their details are here:

I hope that this answers your question for you today? Can I assist further in this regard?

I didn't hear from you but I hope that you found the information above helpful.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. I did not know what to expect and shut my phone down. I have some difficulty with my sight later in the day so will read your message and open the links you sent to see if I can complete the task. If I have any problems I will let you know. Also will let you know if I am successful.
I am also looking at my Will as I understand it needs changing. I am trying to use a Free Will with voluntary donation and that November is Free Will Month. The original copy of My present Will made in 1990 Is with a Solicitor and I wonder if I should approach them first as cost is a consideration.
Thank you for your assistance.
Best Regards. Maureen Allen.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Did you receive my reply?
Hello - yes I’ll respond in the morning as it’s outside my working hours!

Good morning. If you are looking to make a free will, using the free wills month promotion with a donation, and you are effectively starting from scratch again, I would say you don't need to contact the old solicitor other than to tell them that you have made a new will when this is done, asking them to destroy the old copy to avoid confusion.

Unless of course they are taking part in the promotion, in which case you can make the 'free' will through them.

I hope that clarifies the follow up point for you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help, I will follow it up.

Very happy to help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am trying to find the form I require, I have the certificate.

It's this link here (copied form above):

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Have not been able to follow your advice and am contacting my Mortgage Lendrr.

Please try to copy and paste this underlined link into google:

This is the form you need. I don't think I can be any clearer about how to access the form!

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for giving me advice but I looked into the matter of the Deeds further and because I still have a mortgage contacted them and they are dealing with making any changes which need to be made on the Mortgage documents and Deeds. Regards ***** *****

I am glad you are sorting this out. Yes, your mortgage company will assist you with the mortgage side of things, the information I gave was for changing the title register (deeds) as you could do this yourself. All best wishes, Peter

Peter Collins and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you