Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My ex partner and me had a house repossessed in 2008 now my

Customer Question

Hi, my ex partner and me had a house repossessed in 2008 now my name was not on the mortgage but we moved in together from the start and the mortgage was paid through our joint account. I was wondering if I am entitled to any of the money from the repossession. My name was on the endowment if I recall right.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stoke on Trent England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none this is my first step
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so, thankyou
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 14 days ago.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Can you explain what you mean by 'entitled to any money from the repossession'?

and why now after all these years?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My ex cheated on me and the house was repossessed but he said if there was any money paid after the repossession he would give me some. He never gave me anything, left me and our children almost on the street. I was in an emotional turmoil and just wanted me and the kids to be safe. Now I just wanted to know the outcome of the repossession and whether he walked away with any money. As I said before we moved into the house together, went to the mortgage advice together. The mortgage and bills were all paid out of a joint account. I wanted to know if it’s worth pursuing and I am due any money. I’m in rented accommodation now and I’d like to buy. Thankyou.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 14 days ago.

Normally when a house is repossessed, there is nothing left by the time the vultures have had all their share.

Even if there was any money, after 13 years you are out of time to pursue it.  The time limit is 6 years under the Limitation Act 1980.

Sorry.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have