How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 24582
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

My landlord is charging me £300 to change the sharer in my

Customer Question

My landlord is charging me £300 to change the sharer in my tenancy when the contract says this administration fee is caped at £50+ VAT as well as our contract. She insists it’s the letting agents fee and has nothing to do with her, however the letting agents say that has always been their fee and they charge it directly to the landlord, not to us because it is illegal. In addition, a tenant has swapped out before and did not pay this fee, only the £50 it is apparently at her discretion whether to pass the charge on to us … can she do this?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: No, I have just asked her what charges I would incur to move and she has said the £300 letting agents admin fee
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: I have sent her numerous texts asking her to confirm if what the letting agents say is true which have been ignored in reading
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at this time thank tou
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Stuart J replied 12 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Have you told her the letting agency deny this fee?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah and she has not responded to me
Expert:  Stuart J replied 12 days ago.

The fees which are landlord can charge are now limited by the Tenant Fees Act 2019

Here is the government webpage on exactly this subject

Please note that these are the charges from the landlord or the agent to the tenant.

Sometimes, the agent will charge a higher fee to the landlord and if they do that, then the landlord is responsible for the difference.

The landlord cannot pass it on to the tenant.

It is not at the landlord’s discretion to pass the fee onto you.  You have no liability in this respect.

You need to show the landlord the link I sent and this reply.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards