How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3479
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Can/will an insurance company payout on a claim for a fire

This answer was rated:

Hi. Can/will an insurance company payout on a claim for a fire even when the tenants renting the property were growing cannabis - full set up of lights, blankets etc?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Claim has been registered but just yesterday
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Bedfont TW18 8AR
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Fire brigade alerted the police who attended and took away the plants as well as some amphetimines they discovered

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** advice

Thank you for the question.  This is really down to the insurers, however, there are two factors, firstly, if the growing of cannabis, etc. contributed to the fire being started then I do not imagine they would pay out as this would be deemed unsafe practice.   Secondly, there is likely. to be a clause (which you will require to check) to state that part of the agreement will be that the dwelling is not used for any unlawful activity, with that being the case (and the insurers will check the fire/police report) they are unlikely to pay.  Obviously if this was your insurance, and were unaware of what the tenants were doing, this moves us into a grey area, whereby the tenants would be liable for the costs of the damages.  If that was the case, then you would need to look at taking court action against the tenants.  I would exhaust the process with your insurance company ( assuming it is your insurance) in the first instance.  It may be the case you will. require to take action against the tenants.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you