How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 75078
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

In Sep 2020 I entered into an agreement with a younger man.

Customer Question

Hi. In Sep 2020 I entered into an agreement with a younger man. I agreed to fund his expenses to the tune of £1279/month until lockdown ended and at that point we would embark on a relationship with each other and see how it went. In January I discovered that he had been seeing someone else. By March it was clear that he had no intention of entering into any relationship with him. Do I have any grounds to pursue a case against him, given that he has failed to honour his side of the agreement? He knew for several months that he had no intention of honouring his side of the agreement, yet still continued to take the money and allow me to believe that things were on track.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

How much are you actually owed? Please note this is not always an instant service and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your question and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Over the period Sep 2020-Apr 2021 I transferred approximately £15k to his account
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced in your situation.

You can certainly try and pursue him to recover at least a proportion of these funds, although there is never a guarantee that you will be successful in doing so. The courts are wary of being too rigid in such cases because relationships can be fluid and also a person can never be forced to enter into a relationship, even if they originally had intentions of doing so. The difficulty would be proving that there was clearly no intention of it happening, whilst you were still being told otherwise and asked to fund him. Until you make the claim and let the court consider it, you simply won’t know.

If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to  There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

Hello, following my main response above, I just wanted to check that everything was clear. If you have any further queries about this issue, you can reply to me at any time on this portal and I will be happy to help. Thank you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I have read your reply and it gives me some comfort that I may have a case. It seems that I need to demonstrate that he intentionally deceived me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 13 days ago.

You would and it would depend on what he comes back with in his defence, too. It is just one of those types of claims that could potentially go either way and you simply won’t know until you have pursued it

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I trust that everything has now been resolved to your satisfaction and your original question has been dealt with. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.