How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 157
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

If i buy my son a flat with a small mortgage in his name can

This answer was rated:

if i buy my son a flat with a small mortgage in his name can he get benefits to help pay it, he currently has social service funding for 35 hours pw and high rate disability benefits, will these be effective if its not actually cash in bank
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: surrey uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Thank you for your enquiry. I will be assisting you today.

Thank you for your enquiry. I will be assisting you today.

Please note the following:

My replies will be in writing. I may not respond right away as i may be away from my desk but will endeavour to get back to you as soon as i am able to.

The website generates pop up requests for call requests. These can be accepted or rejected by either of us at any time. If you opt in for a call request this will be subject to additional charges from the website.

If i am required to peruse any documentation and provide advice on the same this will also be subject to additional charges which i will inform you of appropriately.

We are legal experts and provide general advice on your enquires. We do not offer legal representation, nor can we act on your behalf.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider the following:

CItizens advice bureau -;

Find a solicitor -;

Direct access-

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can.

Your best course of action is to liaise with the local authority as they can provide assistance with benefits, and also with housing under right to buy.

If you were to undertake the route you are seeking it may be difficult to get a suitable mortgage. Mortgage providers cannot discriminate however if your son is solely relying on benefits his options may be limited.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your reply, I’m trying to find out his legal rights regarding his existing benefits and if they would be affected by this purchase, are bricks and mortar assesed for benefits or just cash in bank?. We would likely pay down over 50% of the purchase
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
my son is here with me so I can’t take a call

His benefits would not be affected, he can get more support by purchasing under a buy to let scheme.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what support is available under buy to let, if he owns the property and is his asset this couldn’t be buy to let? If I owned it and rented back to him he wouldn’t get help because i’m his mum? could you explain what you mean? If the flat is in his name what benefits are means tested and would this be counted

Here is a guide on the available benefits:-

Inderdeep and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you