Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have had the electrics made up to standard on a commercial

Customer Question

I have had the electrics made up to standard on a commercial property for my new business, but the electrical company hasn't issued the certificate and say I have to pay in full first, I thought the job was completed when you got the certificate, I like the electrical company, but I felt thst was a under handed tactic considering I have already paid them 17 thousand already
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Not sure if that sent to you
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have started a new business in a commercial property, I had my own electricians yo get the electrics up to standard as I wanted better economic lighting, I have paid 17 k to start with
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My new business address is PR25 4GU I was under the impression for the completion of works I received the electrical cert first, sometimes I think I'm too nice and I get taken advantage of, I fully intend to pay, but I still haven't got the cert
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Is the job finished?

and how much were you quoted for the job?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Job was 35 thousand complete I've paid 17 thousand before they started the actual work is completed, but I have no cert but they said I have to pay the remaining then I get the cert
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I just want to know my legal rights
Expert:  Stuart J replied 11 days ago.

I’m not altogether certain what the problem is here because I can’t see the point in having a court argument when the only issue is who does it first.

I do they give you the certificate and you pay or you play and then they give you the certificate.

The whole thing is two minutes apart.  They are concerned that they are not going to get paid and you are concerned that you will get the certificate.

Either of you can sue the other.

A complete inspection on something like this for a certificate is going to be a couple of thousand pounds although its new installation it’s properly not going to be that expensive.

I find it somewhat surprising (but it’s how it works) is the same person as the installation provides the certificate.  I should have thought it would have been separate.

So my personal view would be to pay, say GBP31,000 and have the retention of 4000 pending the certificate.

That’s a practical solution rather than a legal one.  I don’t think this is worth having a legal argument over to be honest.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have