Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

I would like to no if the law says you must have electricity

i would like to no if the law says you must have electricity in a the act fitness for human habitation of dwellings in England section 9A

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

A landlord must keep their rented properties safe and free from health hazards ( under Homes Fitness for Human Habitation) Act). Landlord must make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained and provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property.

If the tenant is left without basic amenities -no electricity /no hot water, then Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Tenants have the right to expect their landlord to carry out repairs in a 'reasonable time'. If it's an emergency repair as you've got no heating or hot water, your landlord should fix this in 24 hours.

However, section 9a of the above act speaks of the health hazards, homes should be ‘fit for human habitation’, which means that they are safe, healthy and free from things that could cause serious harm.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the property is a shop with a upstairs on a 998 year lease with no electric supply

Is it a commercial Let?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i bought the the lease which was a solicitors

If it is a commercial let then the above mentioned legislation is not applicable on it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it states in the lease 1.4 A working day is any day which is not saturday,a sunday,a bank holiday or a public holiday in England. dose this mean they are in breach of lease if there is no electricity supply to the property

Copy paste the relevant clause here

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
i am unable to do it at present as i'm not sure how to ,but it as it say's in the lease

Right, if it says in the lease , and you were out of the electricity , then yes it would be deemed as a breach by the Landlord.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you if i have anymore questions can i please contact you thank you

Yes , sure , if you have any questions in future , you can get in touch by opening up a new post/question and FAO: Vineet S and I will be happy to help.

Thank you. Best wishes.