MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Council demanding payment for rubbish removal when the

Customer Question

Council demanding payment for rubbish removal when the tenant has refused to remove the rubbish himself.
JA: Where is the tenant? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Tameside
JA: What steps has the tenant taken so far?
Customer: None whatsoever, refused to remove rubbish or even put bins out. This led to rat infestations and complaints from neighbours.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The Landlord (my daughter) has refused to pay the bill because the tenant has been obstinate and is surely committing an offence around fly tipping and anti-social behaviour. The council have demanded payment from her for removal, but she has made a formal complaint which has been rejected. She is now moving to Stage 2 of the council's complaints procedure.
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help this evening.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello are you still there?

Yes I am still here. Apologies. I got caught on a call.

Who has the bill been made out to? Is it in your daughters name?

Can you let me know who the bill is addressed to?

Provided it is detailed in the tenancy agreement you could highlight this to the tenant that in accordance with their tenancy agreement, they are responsible for keeping the property clear from rubbish and ensuring that it is regularly collected by the local authority.

If there is an excessive amount of rubbish (more than 1 wheelie bin load), the council tend to not remove it which is a shock in your case. If the tenant does not remove it often the need arises to hire a rubbish removal company to ensure the property is clear of rubbish. This is often what happens

You should write to the tenant with letter before claim for the sum of the bill.

If you respond I can go into more detail however until I have more information I can only give general guidance.