How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 9549
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Dear Just answer Team, I am writing to you with the hope to

Customer Question

Dear Just answer Team,I am writing to you with the hope to get some advice/help.My situation is very complicated so I will try to keep it clear and short.Renting a room in the property from a lady who rents from the owner for the past 11 years. At the end of July the owner suddenly has raised the rent by £200 with the notice of roughly 2 weeks, the "landlady" did not agree to it and said she is out of the contract (which doesn't exist - no written agreement between them) , afterwards I have met the owner at the property and at the end of the conversation he agreed to let us stay by the 17th October and we will pay only this amount we pay and no additional costs, (as two rooms are empty at the moment the rent is lower). He promised to make an agreement between us and that I will pay the rent directly to his bank account. The next days I haven't got anything and he started to ask for cash, I refused as we agreed on something else, then he started saying that we did not agree on anything and I am lying so we have to leave the property now. Me and my housemates looking for a new place, in the meantime the owner started sending people to the property trying to threaten us, asking again for cash, parking the car near the property and taking pictures of us. Today I have got an eviction notice from his solicitor. I would like to add that for years he is renting the property without putting any effort if something is happening, the house is in bad condition, everything we were doing my ourselves whatever we could. Also, I am quite sure that the property is not registered as an HMO.
Is there anything you could help me with?
I hope more or less I have explained the situation.Thank you in advance for any response.Yours sincerely,
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: not yet
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: london
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am okay to wait. Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

You have no direct contract with the landlord so they cannot evict you par se but they can evict your landlady and by extension you. You can via your landlady object for example due to not having property notice e.g. at the moment 2 months and then eviction process through the courts process. I suggest you speak your landlady therefore and go from there. The landlord not looking after the place does not prevent them from evicting you. I trust this assists