Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Dear Just answer Team, I am writing to you with the hope to

Customer Question

Dear Just answer Team,I am writing to you with the hope to get some advice/help.My situation is very complicated so I will try to keep it clear and short.Renting a room in the property from a lady who rents from the owner for the past 11 years. At the end of July the owner suddenly has raised the rent by £200 with the notice of roughly 2 weeks, the "landlady" did not agree to it and said she is out of the contract (which doesn't exist - no written agreement between them) , afterwards I have met the owner at the property and at the end of the conversation he agreed to let us stay by the 17th October and we will pay only this amount we pay and no additional costs, (as two rooms are empty at the moment the rent is lower). He promised to make an agreement between us and that I will pay the rent directly to his bank account. The next days I haven't got anything and he started to ask for cash, I refused as we agreed on something else, then he started saying that we did not agree on anything and I am lying so we have to leave the property now. Me and my housemates looking for a new place, in the meantime the owner started sending people to the property trying to threaten us, asking again for cash, parking the car near the property and taking pictures of us. Today I have got an eviction notice from his solicitor. I would like to add that for years he is renting the property without putting any effort if something is happening, the house is in bad condition, everything we were doing my ourselves whatever we could. Also, I am quite sure that the property is not registered as an HMO.
Is there anything you could help me with?
I hope more or less I have explained the situation.Thank you in advance for any response.Yours sincerely,
Olga
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: not yet
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: london
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am okay to wait. Thanks
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 9 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

You have no direct contract with the landlord so they cannot evict you par se but they can evict your landlady and by extension you. You can via your landlady object for example due to not having property notice e.g. at the moment 2 months and then eviction process through the courts process. I suggest you speak your landlady therefore and go from there. The landlord not looking after the place does not prevent them from evicting you. I trust this assists