Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have and end of terrace property in London. The passageway

Customer Question

Hi, i have and end of terrace property in London. The passageway between my property and the next terrace leads to a set of garages owned by a certain individual. When we moved in to our property, I noticed that there were some heavy equipment dumped right at the back of our garden and in front of the privately owned garages. I promptly informed our council about the rusting equipment and council reached out to the owner of the garages to ensure removal of the rubbish. I have now got a notice from the garage owner's lawyers informing me that the removal of rubbish was done causing inconvenience to the owner. They also mentioned that i do not have any right to access through the passageway to the rear of my property - which may be permitted to some of my neighbours.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I have just received the notice in mail
JA: Where is the end of terrace located?
Customer: it is in London, borough of rebridge. E18
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I can share the plan of my property, with the outline from council.. When we bought the property, the seller's solicitor informed that the passage between the terraces is a shared pathway..
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I've added a snapshot of the outline of my property, as shown in registry records. Please note the garages at the back are highlighted in yellow.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I also wanted to add, that the garages are not in the best of condition and there are foxes living inside them. These foxes frequently come on to our garden at night and foul it.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Here is the letter I received this morning.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sure, thanks.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

You do not need to respond but if you wish to do so I suggest the following:

"To whom it may concern,

Re: Driveway land between 54 and***** E18

I refer to your letter dated 09 September 2021. I note, that your client has recently had need to remove items of rubbish from their land in front of their garages and it is suggested by your client that the person responsible for this is unknown. Yet, despite not knowing who was responsible for this, they have instructed you to write to ourselves implying that we may be responsible.

For the avoidance of doubt and to clarify matters for your client, we are not responsible for the dumping of items on his property and trust he will now monitor his land to ensure such dumping does not occur in future as he is legally obligated to do under among other things the Occupiers Liability Acts 1957 and 1984 and Environmental Protection Act 1990.

In relation to the passageway and access to the rear of our property our title plan clearly shows we can access the rear of our property via the side of our property which is our land.

Kind regards,

X"

I trust this assists