UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a question regarding end of my tenancy, I am renting

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a question regarding end of my tenancy, I am renting from a private landlord
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I was give two months notice but I am not able to move out on time due to delay in my next property
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: London
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I wanted to ask what my rights are if I am not able to move out on time?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 13 days ago.

I am a solicitor.

What do you wish to ask please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

You do not need to move out at the end of the notice period given to you.

You can only be legally evicted by a court order.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I wasted to ask what my rights are if I am not able to move out of my rented property on time due to delay in my next property
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How much time would I have for this in London?

Your landlord would need to apply to the court for a possession order and then enforce it, you do not need to move out until then. You simply stay on and pay the rent until then. You may check this with the housing department of your local authority.

The court process can take several weeks/months.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The landlord has changed the agency I was making payment to and won’t give me new details to make payment therefore stops me from paying further
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If they are stopping me from making further payments would staying at the property be classed as illegal?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hello?

No, it would not be illegal.

You may ask the landlord for details of whom to pay the rent to, or stop paying rent until he gives you these details.

All the best

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. But the notice of 2 months was given in July 2021 according to the tenancy agreement, doesn’t it have to be 4 months if it was given between 1st June and 1 August?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 12 days ago.

Yes, after 1st June 2021, notices should have been 4 months. Like I said, you should ignore the notice as it is flawed and you cannot be evicted without a court order anyway.

The notice is not enough in itself.

All the best