How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarcInLaw Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 582
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
MarcInLaw is online now

My property has a bio chemical waste plant, my neighbour

This answer was rated:

My property has a bio chemical waste plant, my neighbour disscharges grey water into the plant( he has refused to accept this is the case and does not contribute towards any costs for the chemical plant.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: he has been pouring oils and fats down the drain which is causing running issues with the unit, I have bought this to his attention but the problem persists. I have now inserted a rubber plug into the pipe coming from his property, he has opened his drain to find large amounts of oil and fats. He has demanded that I remove the plug. I have advised him that unless he stops contaminating the unit and environment (I discharge supposedly clean water into a river that runs through my property, I do have a current permit for this) I will not remove the plug and also he should be responsible for a portion of the running costs.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We had a very heated conversation last week, he has not agreed to follow my advice, I have also passed a document about what is allowed Togo into the unit but again he is not listening.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have paid for all maintenance and repairs for the 6 years I have lived here, when I first moved in I approached him about his grey waste and a contribution towards the running costs but he dismissed me saying that he didn’t use the unit.
Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.
You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.
Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate.

Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.
Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am in North Devon EX34 9SH

I am sorry to hear about this. You have two options: 1. Commence legal action, depending in the amount in question, it will probably be the small claims court. 2. Complain to the council, the Environment Agency?

*depending on the amount

Please feel free to come back and I will be happy to answer any questions.

MarcInLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you