How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3456
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

We need Legal Advice on Tenancy Agreement. We are Coop Homes

Customer Question

We need Legal Advice on Tenancy Agreement. We are Coop Homes Tenant and wants to change primary signatory from my partner (we were previously married) to myself. The Housing Officer has requested us Legal Advice or the transfer will render my partner as intentionally homeless.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London - Ealing Borough
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We sent few email to the Housing officer who initially kept asking for details but later sent an email saying she need a Legal Advice to prove that such transfer of Tenancy is ok
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: As we will be paying for ourselves we would like to know the cost. I have financially continued to support my ex-wife and son even during the separation and have evidence of payment of rent and arrears
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank....I am here to answer any detail required.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  I would advise providing them with an agreement signed by both yourself, and your partner stating that you authorise the landlord to move the tenancy into your sole name.  If you provide them with this then they should be satisfied they have authority to move the tenancy.  However, what they are worried about is the if this is moved to your name, and your ex partner does not reside there and has no place to go, they will not be allowed to get a house based on homelessness as they will have, as they said, intentionally made themselves homeless and will not qualify, therefore this is something you will have to consider prior to moving the lease over to your name.  You don't specifically need a lawyer to draft up this agreement, so long as it is clear and contains the information the landlord needs.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.