Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

In an emergency where tenants in an HMO are being

Customer Question

In an emergency where tenants in an HMO are being intimidated by one tenant and fear for their physical safety and police have been informed, can the landlord legally stop the intimidating tenant from entering?
JA: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No it was an emergency situation although the tenant had been spoken to previously by the landlord regarding complaints
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: surrey
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Aa the tenant was not responding to contact and police said they would attend but due to stretched resources did not do so I changed the locks as the other tenants were very frightened to be left unprotected
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also the intimidating tenant had a master key from the emergency use key box in their room and had threatened other tenants that they could enter anyone’s room as they were a window fitter. I entered their room to shut the window they had left wide open which faced the front of the property at ground floor level and the master key was on their bed.
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

What would you like to know today?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you: what do I need to do to end the intimidating tenant’s tenancy legally
Eg am I obliged to pay him in lieu of technical notice to end the tenancy? It’s too dangerous for him to live in the property with the other 5 tenants.
He has damaged the room abs broken many contract clauses but I wish to get the situation resolved legally ASAP

I am assuming he is on assured shorthold tenancy agreement.

If so then you will need to begin the eviction process by serving a section 8 notice on him on the grounds of breach of the contract.

You can find guidance and the relevant forms by clicking on the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/section-21-and-section-8-notices

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/understanding-the-possession-action-process-guidance-for-landlords-and-tenants/understanding-the-possession-action-process-a-guide-for-private-landlords-in-england-and-wales#what-to-do-if-your-tenant-is-engaging-in-anti-social-behaviour

Assuming he does not vacate at the end of the notice period you can start court action to obtain an eviction order. You may wish to consult a housing solicitor at this stage to assist you with regards ***** ***** action.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Thanks and stay safe.

Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 11 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given.

Thanks and stay safe