How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MarcInLaw Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 577
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
MarcInLaw is online now

My tenant is late with his rent and isn't responding re

This answer was rated:

Hi there my tenant is late with his rent and isn't responding re several attempts to go in and view property. I've decided I want to now give him notice to quit. He has lived there over 6 months so I can provide 1 month notice period but Ithink I will probably say to the end of October - if I am able to do so. Is there a standard letter I should be using
JA: What steps has your tenant taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No paperwork has been filed.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: York
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I haven't put his deposit in a legal deposit - my mistake - but realise now that there are implications of this - if the tenant realises that this is a requirement

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so.

Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussions on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately, you are right. The fact they have you not registered the deposit means you are unbale to serve s.21 notice.

Additionally, you can be taken to court and the tenant is likely to get up to 3x times the deposit amount from you.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I realise that it would a s 8 notice wouldn't it - if I wanted to go down that route. However in the first instance I would just like to let the tenant know I would like him to leave the property. So is there any standard notice to quite letter I should be using? My personal financial situation has changed becuase of covid and my business is no longer viable. So I wish to now have the property back. How do I go about this?

In terms of your question:

There are a lot of free templates and they are not too bad.

In summary: send a rent demand letter, consider registering the deposit now.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My main objective is to get the tenant out - so serve his his months notice - I don't really care about a the rental demand. So is there specific notice to letter quit I need to use ?

As long as you refer to the tenancy, comply with its terms and request the tenant to leave - and the tenant is happy to do it, then you should be fine.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
okay yes I went to register the deposit yesterday but then decided I would like him to leave the property as its not working out - and registering the deposit will alert him to the 3x issue - i think - as he will receive an email and some info

Hence my choice of words. Just consider it, as you are right, this might alert him to this issue. Unless he is aware aware of this ..But when you register it then you can serve the required notice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
thank you - last question - can I just clarify - is there any standard notice to quit / request tenant to leave UK template I need to use - or do you know of a good site which provides a template
thank you

Are you registered with the National Landlords Association? If you are then they have access to a number of good templates!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
okay thank you

Best of luck!

MarcInLaw and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm not registered but I will check it out! Thank you I think I'm going to need it ! Lesson learned register the deposit!! Thank you (-:

All the best!