How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Collins Your Own Question
Peter Collins
Peter Collins,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8311
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Peter Collins is online now

My late mother left her house to both of us with a gift of

Customer Question

My late mother left her house to both of us with a gift of £14,000 to me for the work I had done to improve the property. I lived with her 10yrs. The house sold but I had to pull out as there are no houses available in my budget. I offered to buy her share or stay as we are, she opted to stay as we are but there is remedial work to be done externally to the property she has blocked my number so I can't contact her
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scarborough North Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None I don't know where to start
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No i don't think so
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 11 days ago.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 11 days ago.

Can you clarify - are you still in the property that your mother left you?

If so, and your sister has agreed for you to remain there, why do you need to contact her?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am stlll in the property. I want to my buy my own home but there is nothing within my price range on the marker and as stated before there is a lot of work to be done externally a new flat roof and the guttering and facias need replacing it is getting to the point i am worried someone will get hurt by debris dropping off. I need to know if she is liable to pay half the bills that will be incurred. If she is I need to make her aware of this
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 11 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** more sense.

If you are joint tenants of the property, you are each responsible for the whole. In this case, you can go ahead and complete the work.

Make sure you keep receipts for everything you spend. When it then comes to time to sell, you will be able to deduct the costs you have incurred and effectively pay yourself back before dividing the remaining proceeds of sale.

If you are tenants in common, each owning a defined 50% share, then she should be contributing half at this stage, but in reality the above approach of you paying and then claiming back at the point of sale may work better. This is because if she has to start contributing towards repairs she is perhaps more likely to decide to push for a sale (she is entitled to do this, she can force a sale even if you don't want to sell or can't afford another home locally).

I hope that this answers your question?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you I would like to buy her share of this house but as said previously I cannot contact her now so will have to see a solicitor in person, which is what a really wanted t avoid.
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 11 days ago.

I understand. I'm afraid that sometimes it is necessary to see a solicitor though, if you need to progress matters.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  Peter Collins replied 9 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter