How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask frantzgregory Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1317
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
frantzgregory is online now

My daughter moved into a second floor flat in a Victorian

Customer Question

My daughter moved into a second floor flat in a Victorian building in august a family have moved in above there is no sound proofing and it’s like they are living together it’s that loud she is not sleeping having to stay at friends house it’s affecting her work and she plays football professionally and it is having an impact on this also she registered this with the letting agent 5 weeks ago and nothing has been done as they say the individual landlords have to agree on what to do can she get out of her tenancy now as her break clause isn’t until April ?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No emailed the letting agency several times
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: croydon
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 12 days ago.

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question.

Expert:  frantzgregory replied 12 days ago.

Unfortunately unless the landlord agrees you cannot get out of the agreement without cost consequences. Did you not view the property before signing? Have you tried ear plugs or sleeping in a different room.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she did view there was no one living above when she did they have moved in since even the bottom floor flat can hear the top floor surely there must be some legal requirements for sound proofing ?
Yes she’s tried ear plugs even the property management company who have been out have agreed with her
It’s only a one bed flat unless she sleeps int the garden !
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 12 days ago.

Your daughter should contact the council and they will usually have a site visit to check if there are requirements being breached

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  frantzgregory replied 11 days ago.

I hope this response has helped. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, you can ask another question on the site. It has been my pleasure to assist you.