RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I signed up to rent an office. The contract allows me one

Hello. I signed up to rent an office. The contract allows me one month notice. I paid a deposit. The issue is that the rent includes all bills. I have discovered from other tenants that there has not been any electricity in the building. The landlord is not responding to any communication about this issue. Can l just leave? Am l entitled to my deposit? Thank you.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you for the question.   It is possible you can terminate the agreement and obtain your deposit back.  If you are renting an office, then it would not be unreasonable to assume there will be electricity to the building.   If you can obtain electricity, but require to pay this yourself, then you could argue the landlord will require to cover this as the lease states that all bills are covered.  However, if the landlord did not disclose this or stated there was electricity to the  building, you can take the position this was a misleading representation of contact, and therefor terminate it (it will not matter what the termination agreement states if you terminate due to breach).  In that case the landlord should be giving you your money back.  If they refuse to do this you can inform them you will be taking legal action, and can do sin the small claims court if the sum is less than £10k.

You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons)