Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

I have lived in a flat above a shop for 37 years shop

i have lived in a flat above a shop for 37 years shop shortly going up for sale can they use this to issue me notice to quit
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: none at the moment
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no only found out about this 2 days ago
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no not at the moment

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Who is your tenancy contract with?

and is it only the shop for sale or with flat accomodation?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Tenancy contract is with the shop owner and the flat is included as they mentioned that they would give me 4 months notice

If you have an AST  your length of occupation is irrelevant.

If on the other hand you have an assured/rent at tenancy, provided you comply with the terms of the tenancy agreement and you pay rent, they are stuck with you forever.

If it is an AST the current notice period is indeed 4 months although it’s probably going to come down to 2 months at the end of September although that he has yet to be confirmed.

Sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have