Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

We moved into our student house a week and a half ago, when

We moved into our student house a week and a half ago, when we moved in the place was in bad condition, and the garden was very overgrown and covered in rubbish and living room floor weren't complete, with our landlord saying that both would be sorted by the 14th. Our landlord sent the inventory on Friday for us to go through, however in it she has written that photos for the garden and living room were pending photos for when they our completed. Is she allowed to do this, as that wouldn't be the condition we found either in on the day we moved in?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bournemouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We're unsure of what steps we should take, we have photos of the conditions everything was in when we moved in
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so, the living room floor was completed yesterday and the garden is set to be completed tomorrow

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

If the garden is going to be sorted and the living room floor has been mended what is the issue please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm not so worried about the living room floor, the agreement had been that we'd sign the tenancy agreement if the floor would be fixed before we moved in (old floor was vinyl that had lifted, was a bit wrecked), it wasn't sorted till we moved in as she told us the fitter had covid when it was set to be finisged, however it was our handyman/head manager that ended up sorting it yesterday. The garden however, she's made a point of telling us that we should pay a gardener to maintain the garden to a high standard otherwise we will face deposit decuctions at the end of the year. We're not planning on trashing the garden, but when we moved in the garden wasn't at a high standard, there was rubbish everywhere, a burn patch from where she'd burnt furniture the week before we moved in and the whole garden is heavily overgrown, so should she be able to update the garden inventory picture when the garden is all complete, when it hasn't looked like that, the week and a half we've been living here?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry are you still on this?

You need to go through the property now with a fine tooth comb and take your own photographs of every single solitary crack pinhole and mark.  The condition of the garden also.  Everything in detail.

Send the landlord check in inventory back to the agent and say that it is unsatisfactory and that this is the state of the place.  Ask them to confirm.

Fortunately, you have raised this issue now when you have only been in the property for a week and not raised it later.  Never ever ever ever rely on the landlord or the agents check in inventory.