INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

We have a strip of land across the front of our property

Hi, we have a strip of land across the front of our property that the deeds say doesn’t belong to us as it’s a service corridor, our drive crosses this land on on the deeds belongs to the property but the garden doesn’t. The deeds also mention no trees, shrubs or structures are allowed on this piece of land, although many neighbours have these. Who owns this land and how can we get it built into our boundary?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: across the front of our property, it’s a strip running along the front garden
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so.

Thank you for your query. I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you checked with HM Land Registry as to who owns the area in question?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
There is nothing on the land registry. The land forms the front 2m of our front garden. The deeds just state it doesn’t belong to the owner. I therefore assume it belongs to the developer or council but don’t know, that’s why I’ve asked the question.

You would need to carry out an Index Map Search of the area at HM Land Registry.  This will then show you who owns the land. Once you have this information, you can decide how to proceed forward.

I hope this helps.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)