How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3087
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

My daughter ahs recently moved into a flat in London but

This answer was rated:

Good Morning,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Good Morning, my daughter ahs recently moved into a flat in London but wants to move out asap, she hasn't signed the tenancy agreement yet but has paid a deposit and a couple of months rent. Can she just leave or will she be liable to pay the rent for the minimum 6 month lease? Thank You. Stuart
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: She hasn't contacted the Landlord yet or her two flat mates and she hasn't filed any paperwork.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: London W1
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don't think so. Will there be a cost for the advice the Lawyer gives me? if so how much will it be?

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

Landlords and Agents can ask for holding deposit ( 1 week's rent )to reserve a property. Tenant should get the money back if the landlord decides not to rent to you. However, if the tenant backs out after reserving the property, then they lose the holding deposit.

If the main terms of the tenancy agreement is confirmed, even if it is not yet signed, the tenancy agreement can be enforced .

So, once the tenancy agreement is confirmed, then Landlord can chase the tenant for the rent payments till the expiry of the fixed term.

If the Tenant is not looking to continue with the tenancy , then he/she should speak with the Landlord for the surrender of his tenancy. Landlord can re-market the property, and existing tenant can surrender the tenancy in the favour of the new replacement tenant . The existing tenant remain liable for rent payments till the tenancy is taken over by the new tenant.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.

Vineet S and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks Vineet, that's helpful. I'll come back you if I have any questions. Stuart

You are welcome. Have a good day. Best wishes .