How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5442
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have an issue with a will that I've been told I'm named

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have an issue with a will that I've been told I'm named in.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Braintree in Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only to get copies of death certificates and confirmation that probate has not yet been granted
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that I believe my brother (who I'm estranged from) is the executor of my mother's will and informed me that I was in the will via my ex wife but since then has not replied to contact.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

sorry to hear of the loss of your mother, please accept my condolences.

If your brother is the executor of the estate, then they would deal with the death certificate, probate etc.

There is no legal obligation to supply a certificate.

You can check with the probate office to see if probate has been granted.

You would also be entitled to see the will once probate is granted.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, you have misunderstood my problem. I have obtained a copy of the death certificate and requested a postal search for a record of a grant being issued from the HN Courts and Tribunal Service, which informed me that they couldn't find any record of a grant being issued.
As my brother won't reply to any queries sent to him from me, I have no way of knowing any will details. All he told me in a message is that I am named in the will as a beneficiary and that was the last contact in December 2020.
Regards, Matt

Until probate is granted, as a non executor ypu are not entitled to a copy of the will.
If he was open, he can give you a copy, nothing to stop him, but not legally required.

Once probate is granted, then it becomes a public document and you can see it.

He may reply to a solicitor if you have one write to him.

james bruce and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you