How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 24613
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

When I divorced 7 years ago I had a charge on the marital

This answer was rated:

When I divorced 7 years ago I had a charge on the marital home. My ex is now selling the property and repaying the charge. Am I liable to capital Gains tax?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have been contacted by my ex's solicitor asking if I am willing to accept the offer. I have accepted the amount offered.
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Wickford, Essex
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The original agreement was for £20,000 or 7% of the sale value. The figures presented to me are a sale price of £430,000 and the payment to me is £30,100

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Is this for a financial settlement and was this percentage agreed by court?

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was listed on the divorce settlement documents raised by my solicitor.