Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

When I divorced 7 years ago I had a charge on the marital

When I divorced 7 years ago I had a charge on the marital home. My ex is now selling the property and repaying the charge. Am I liable to capital Gains tax?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have been contacted by my ex's solicitor asking if I am willing to accept the offer. I have accepted the amount offered.
JA: Where is the home located?
Customer: Wickford, Essex
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The original agreement was for £20,000 or 7% of the sale value. The figures presented to me are a sale price of £430,000 and the payment to me is £30,100

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Is this for a financial settlement and was this percentage agreed by court?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It was listed on the divorce settlement documents raised by my solicitor.