Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

A quick question. A neighbour is building an extension up to

A quick question. A neighbour is building an extension up to the boundary line (which they have planning for) They have now asked to run the waste pipe out of the side of the extension and run the piping underground on my property. I am worried this may cause problems in the future. Am I right to be concerned
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: buckinghamshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

1.  Hello I am your Expert and thank you for your Question. I am delighted to answer it.

1.  You are right to be concerned about the waste pipe running through your property.  Essentially, your neighbour will need a wayleave from you to run the piping underground through your property to wherever it discharges.  So, you will need to give him permission to do this and to sign legal documents granting the wayleave. There will then be the actual works carried out on your property.  So, it depends upon your attitude towards this happening.  You can seek some sort of financial recompense for facilitating your neighbour in this regard, or you can simply agree without any money changing hands.  However, the decision is yours.

2.  There is always the possibilty that if there is damage to the piping in future on your land, then your neighbour will need access to remedy whatever has gone wrong.  So, you should impose a clause in the wayleave whereby your neighbour guarantees to repair any problems with the piping in the future should there be any difficulty on your property.  So, there must be a covenant to repair in the wayleave.

3.  If you require any clarifiction or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.