How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MatthewM1117 Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 637
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
MatthewM1117 is online now

My son is in the process of buying an apartment. This has

This answer was rated:

My son is in the process of buying an apartment. This has been going on now since the begining of February., some 30 + weeks. There is no chain. The property is being sold by a charity as the previous owner died. it is my understanding that the property has been empty since well before Christmas 2020. On my sons behalf ( he works in a prison and mobile phones are banned, so very difficult for him to contact them, hence my very recent involvement) and Authority, I have been trying to find out what the hold up is to no avail, as no one ever seems to be available and after many promises of a call back, nothing is happening. over the last 2 days, since I have been involved, 8 phone calls later, I'm still non the wiser as to what's happening. He was able to contact them 3 weeks ago to be told he would have a weekly update and that they were sorry for the delay. He's still waiting for the update and despite my requests they are not able to speak or answe any of my questions. what can I do to speed this up and wake them up.
JA: What steps has your son taken so far? Has he prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: He signed an "acceptance" form about 6 ? weeks ago. has paid for searches, months ago.
JA: Where is the apartment located?
Customer:***** Shirehampton Bristol BS11 I don't know the rest of the post code, sorry
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well a completion date when he could actually move in would be wonderful. What's the hold up, if any. To be kept in the loop would be a bonus, please Pearl

Good afternoon, thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear about you and your sons circumstances, is it your sons solicitor you are unable to contact? Have they given any indication as to what the delay is?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It is my sons solicitor, Alexander Grace Law who seem extremely reluctant to give an answers as to the status lof the purchase. I've tried to speak to someone at least 8 times since yesterday, my son has given authority for them to discuss this with myself. Despite numerous promises of call backs and trying to get answers, we are no further on. After 30 + weeks it's becoming rather tiresome now, thankyou Matthew

Thank you for the confirmation, I agree this appears to be a significantly lengthy transaction. Have you or your son raised a formal complaint yet? Do you have contact with the sellers or is this through the estate agents?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Not for £44 . I was led to believe that a one off fee of £5 would give me advice. No worries. I do not wish to subscribe a monthly fee and cancel any further contact if this is the case. tjankyou

The offer of a call is automatically generated through the system, you are free to reject the call if you wish. You have already paid for a written response which I am happy to provide.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thankyou Matthew, I panicked there. No there is no contact with the sellers, though it could be an option as the Solicitors, A G Law are not at all forth coming with conversation, let alone answers. very un professional.

I agree, I would advise that the first step is either you or son request a copy of the solicitors complaints proccedure and a point of contact to discuss the complaint with as the service your son has recieved has simply been inadequate.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thankyou Matthew, I will do that. I'm waiting on hold, for a change, to try and speak to someone. I will say that to them. Thankyou for your helpful advice

Hopefully you managed to get through to the solicitors. If the matter does not get resolved, I would advise that you contact the legal ombudsman.

This is a free impartial service and the ombudsman can review the matter and if they believe that your son has not had an adequate service they can make an award of compensation.

You can contact them on the following link:

MatthewM1117 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you