How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 30007
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have recently appointed a lawyer to obtain letters of

Customer Question

Hi there I have recently appointed a lawyer to obtain letters of administration following the death of my late partner. I have been chasing them for some time now via email and phone with no response. I then emailed three and said I will assume that they have received all information and have submitted the application.I have only three received a response advising they have not checked they have received everything and have not submitted the applications. I have chased for further updates with no response. It will soon be a year since the death and I have asked them to confirm that there is still enough time to submit the application, receive the letters of administration and granite property titles. Your advice will be much appreciated
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I will certainly try to clarify the position for you.

Mayor confirm approximately when you appointed a lawyer please? I note you say that this was relatively recently?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi there I appointed the lawyer earlier this year they started working my case in May
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Please continue to contact me via the message portal
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

thank you. So we are really discussing a period of some six months and from what you say, no application for probate has yet been made. Of course, this is not necessarily unreasonable depending upon the size and complexity of the estate. However, if the estate is not particularly large or complex, this does not appear to be a particularly efficient service that is being received as fundamentally, probate is not a particularly difficult undertaking. All they need to do is value the various accounts and assets of the estate and incomplete inheritance tax return and finally, make the application of probate which involves you swearing an oath.

If you are not satisfied that there is a justification for an extended period such as this, in the first instance, you can ask them to explain precisely what they have done and what is left to do before probate can be obtained. From what you describe, they appear to be providing you with minimal information to the point of almost no information at all. If you are not obtaining any useful information from the individual villas dealing with your case, you can contact them and say that unless you receive a more substantive explanation, then you will need to escalate this matter to a complaint to the you can get some formal response. ultimately, you may need to consider whether to distract the firm and either obtain probate yourself or instruct another solicitor to act for you in this regard.

Any complaint you do make must be dealt with within eight weeks by the solicitor. On the earlier of therefore response to your complaint or eight weeks, you can escalate your complaint to the legal ombudsman for an independent determination free of charge which body has the power to award compensation where they find in your favour:

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I concerned there is now not enough time to complete the process in line with the mortgage companies deadlines due to the delays from this company
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I live in one of the properties also so this is a very big issue
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

thank you. This is something that you would want to add to any complaint that you make and add some pressure onto the solicitors. I'm not sure how much contact you have had with the solicitors over the last six months but it may be if you have not had very much, that you have effectively allowed them to put the matter to the bottom of the pile. Many solicitors will give excellent service to all of their clients but some will prioritise clients that shot the loudest and accordingly it may be that your interests will be served by becoming a much push year and demanding client with frequent phone calls demanding progress updates and pushing them as an alternative to instructing somebody else. Of course, there is no reason you should need to do this and if it becomes necessary to drive progress, you can look to subsequently claim a reduction against their fees using the same above process after the event to reflect the quality of service you may or may not have received by that point

Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.