Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I got offer letter and now when I start to work,employer

Customer Question

Hello! I got offer letter and now when I start to work,employer change conditions to my detriment. Is that legal?
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if that's legal. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Waterford
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't have information why they decided to change conditions. I didn't get explanation why they change.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Please explain what exactly has been changed since you accepted the offer of this new employment? and when exactly did you start?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I start 18.10.2021. In offer letter was "sous chef 40000 €yearly paid". After few days they gave me contract (which I didn't sign) and there was "chef 27000€ yearly paid". Can employer do that? Is that legal?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I call you tomorrow morning?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. I am pleased to be able to continue helping with your query now. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the situation you have found yourself in.

Changing a contract like this will likely amount to a breach of contract by the employer because they are going back on what was officially promised to you and what you relied on to take the job.

If you were to reject the new contract and they then force through the changes without notice, you can accuse them of breach of contract and potentially pursue them for the difference.

However, there are ways for them to legally introduce the changes without you being able to challenge them. One is if they gave you notice to terminate the original contract and paid you the original salary for the notice period. After that, the contract is officially terminated and they can give you a new contract which you either accept or you reject and your employment terminates.

So if they are going to change it, then at least ensure that they give you whatever notice is required under the contract to terminate it and that they also honour the original salary for as long as you are employed on that contract.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If I understand well,there is nothing I can do about my situation. Or anybody else can not do anything. It is what it is...in their offer letter is: "This letter serves is official letter of offer". And,obviously mean nothing,because they change their mind when I arived here. Ok,thank you for your advice.
Wish you all the best