SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have a paid a deposit to Co-effins ltd for renting a place

Customer Question

Hello, I have a paid a deposit to Co-effins ltd for renting a place in Greenwich but I can see that this firm is connected to Barrons London LTD which is strongly believed to be the fraud letting agency Flintons LTD just with different name. My Question is how can I catch them and have my deposit refunded because I am very scared that. I have lost my savings on them?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Greenwich, England
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no. I would like to be connected
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Good evening, welcome to just answer.

I am a solicitor and reviewing your question now for you. Please bear with me.

Please note that although I can guide you just answer does not provide legal representation and as such no solicitor/client relationship is formed.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am aware thank you

Thank you for your patience, there is a co-effins ltd  which is registered as a property management company anf there is a Co-effins Homes Ltd which is registered as an estate agent. They are both not shown as linked to the companies that you have mentioned  and with limited status they would have separate legal eprsonality. I would say that you would not be able to cancel the tenancy based on any link you believe they may have with the other limited companies, however it is concerning that they are both relatively new with the one having been incorporated in March last year and the other in August this year.

I have checked the directors' details on London Gazette and all 4 companies that you have mentioned have completely different directors and different addresses. If there is a link it is not something you will be able to identify and use to establish they are fraudsters. Just make sure you have been provided with all the necessary statutory documents if you are getting an Assured Shorthold Tenancy and if you do not receive your deposit protection scheme certificate by day 30 from when you paid the deposit send them a letter before action instantly and take them to court for compensation up to 3 x deposit value.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send me a message and as long as I am online I will look to reply without delay. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the  best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That’s very interesting because the Letting agent called Vlad Goff is associated with Co-Effins but the same agent (Vlad Goff) sent me a message on WhatsApp that his office is located at*****which is an office of Barrons Ltd agency but that was a message dated back in August. Recently when I met him he just shared that he is working closely with his girlfriend as a small company which could be Co-effins but then again I can see that the company is created at the beginning of this year. I am also sending you all the pictures with his words stating that he is associated with Barrons LTD
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (ZTVQ7VM)

If anybody is a fraud then its possibly the individual Vlad Goff who may be using these companies names to get money from unsuspecting individuals. None of the Directors on the London Gazette have names matching or close to that name. The best way to check is to call the companies and not the number that this person has given you and ask to speak to him and chances are you may be told he is not known to them. At what stage does he advise you get the keys?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He will confirm for the keys 5-6 days before the moving date

Judging by the English in those messages, I am afraid I do not think the estate agent would not want to monitor the messages that go out to ensure that at the very least they have correct grammar.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Could poor grammar be equal to scam behaviour? Or this is simply a thought of ours now. I will take your advice to call the agencies and ask for his name. Also, I was thinking to somehow get in touch with the person moving out from the property but I think this could a bit risky.

I would not be as confident as to say equal but it must raise alarm bells, the message is full of errors, if genuine typos then it is not a good coincidence. You could go and speak to current tenant and just say you would be moving in and just wanted to find out how the place is before committing yourself.

Good night, I am logging off in a couple of minutes and should be able to pick up any additional messages in the morning.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for everything and sorry for taking from your time. Just I have already been through scams here in London and wouldn’t be surprised if this is another other ahead me. Have good night :)
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 9 days ago.

You are welcome.