Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

A tenant-in-comon of part of our land is bankrupt and the

A tenant-in-comon of part of our land is bankrupt and the trustee is asking us to pay for valuation and solicitors. Can they force us to do this
JA: Where are you located? And has anything been officially filed?
Customer: Dulverton, Somerset. Adjudicator has just written regarding a proposed sale of beneficial interest. Not sure what you mean by officially filed
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Dulverton, Somerset. Adjudicator has just written regarding a proposed sale of beneficial interest. Not sure what you mean by officially filed
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not sure what else they hould kno. The bankrupt person is our son who helped us purchase land adjacent to our property and so we became tenants in common but there was no official documents drawn up.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and I imagine how frustrating it must be. I will certainly try to clarify the position for you.

from what you say, do you accept that your son has a beneficial interest in the property please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it is registered with Land Registry. Thank you for your concern and help. I am happy to wait for your advice.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I would prefer to have advice written so I can show husband who is not here at present.

thank you. In the circumstances, the trustee in bankruptcy or official receiver should obtain a valuation of your son's beneficial interest in the property which is provided for in rule 31.12.127 of the insolvency rules. It is not for you to obtain this valuation or cover solicitors costs. What the trustee may be asking you for is any evidence of the overall value of the property which they may be able to use in order to value your son's interest. If you have such evidence available, you may optionally decide to provide it to the trustee. However, as above, the responsibility to obtain a valuation and generally deal with your son's interest is with the trustee in bankruptcy not you there are inevitably, as the process continues, you may need to be involved in certain aspects where it affects the property itself if you are a joint owner

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. We shall no doubt have further need of your excellent services in this matter. You have really helped.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I will thanks

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.