How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 247
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

I own a rented leasehold flat. The leasehold is due to

Customer Question

I own a rented leasehold flat. The leasehold is due to expire in June 2060. What is the best way to safeguard ownership of my property after the lease runs out please?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Lacey Green Bucks - the flat is in Uxbridge, Middlesex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Asked your advice before doing anything.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry i will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

Please note:

My replies will be in writing as i am not available for telephone calls.

I may not respond straight away if i am away from my desk but will respond as soon as i am able to.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website alone.

If you request a telephone call with an expert it will be with whichever expert is available. Customer services will undertake this. This service is subject to additional charges and with whichever expert that is available at that time.

If you accidentally select a call you will need to contact customer services.

We as experts only provide general legal advise. We do not offer legal representation or client/solicitor retainer.

If your enquiry requires me to read and advise on documentation this is a premium service subject to additional costs of which you will be advised.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider contacting any of the following organisations:-;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please answer by email***@******.*** - many thanks
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

I can only provide replies via this website sorry.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

In the first instance you need to consider urgently extending the term of your lease as it is extremely low. When a lease term falls below a term of 80 years it becomes increasingly costly to extend.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

You will need to write to your landlord to enter into negotiations for the lease extension. Do you have a share of the freehold or is it a separate freeholder? If you are not sure you need to check the deeds for the property which will give further information. If you have a share of the freeholder its not as costly than having a freeholder who will charge more.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 9 days ago.

With a lease extension there will be a premium payable for extending the term. This is worked out by an expert surveyor who have their own calculation. For a rough idea of costs please use the link below:-

These sums will be payable to the landlord, as well as their legal fees, and your own legal fees.

You should instruct a local solicitor to act for you in the lease extension.