MatthewM1117
MatthewM1117,
Experience:  Expert
110754241

Solicitors request leasehold charges plus penalty How do I

Customer Question

Solicitors request leasehold charges plus penaltyHow do I avoid penalty as we had no communication vis email letters.Pay leasehold with out penalty
Expert:  MatthewM1117 replied 9 days ago.
Good morning thank you for contacting Just Answer my name is***** am a solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Can you confirm the reasons for the leasehold charges? Have you tried to contact the solicitors?

Unfortunately without further information I will have to provide a general response.

Charges such as ground rent and service charges form part of the conditions of the lease. A lease is a legally binding contract between you as a leaseholder and the landlord. Therefore any late/non-payments will likely amount to a breach of the terms of your lease.

Due to this the landlord is therefore entitled to take action on these grounds such as penalties and it also appears in this instance they have instructed solicitors to chase the debts so it is possible you can now be responsible for legal fees.

Whilst I appreciate you dispute that you have been contacted most leases contain a provision as such that the landlord does not need to demand the charges and therefore the onus would be on you to contact the leaseholder to make payments under the terms of the lease.

I understand that this is not the answer you are seeking however I can only advise on the information provided.

Hopefully I have answered your question but if anything remains unclear please do not hesitate to contact me.