SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I would like to ask when can I give my landlord notice

Good afternoon, I would like to ask when can I give my landlord notice because my new agency told me that I can give anytime but my landlord said that I can give on the anniversary of my payment. I have Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement and is nothing about when I can give a notice. Thank you
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Eastbourne
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What do you mean? I've sight the new contract with the agency but I'm still renting from private landlord
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't know, sorry
Good day welcome to justanswer.
I am a solicitor in England and Wales. It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok, I understand
I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hello, I do understand to wait some time but I am waiting hours for response
Also I don't understand why instead of £5 justanswer charged me £50

Thank you very much for your patience. With best intentions sometimes it proves difficult to revert to you on time. I apologise you have had to wait. If there is no notice period in an AST then you are expected to give notice equivalent to your rent payment period to terminate  at the end of the initial fixed term. So if it was a 12 months tenancy you would give one month's notice in month 11. If the fixed term has lapsed and it is a periodic tenancy because you did not sign a new agreement then you can give a month's notice anytime and to leave after that month ends. The periodic tenancy is rolling from month to month and not another 12 months.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message, I am more than happy to guide you further or clarify anything. All the best.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you very much, have a good evening

You are welcome. cheers.