How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

What kind of permissions, if any, Would I need to merge two

This answer was rated:

Hi. What kind of permissions, if any, Would I need to merge two buildings, that I am leasing or I own, together (knock through from one to the other) please?
Would the two buildings need to be of the same use classification etc?
Could I knock through from a residence to a business next door for instance?
And would it be classed as a singular property with mixed use classification or two seperate properties still etc?
Would I need to apply to make it a singular property or is that optional?Conversely could I divide a building into part residence and part business but keep access between the two?I can't find the rules on access between different classified building or different areas of a mixed classification building.Looking to have a club with direct access from residential accomodation if that is possible. Not a hotel, but more of a lodging house if that makes sense.Can anyone explain how I would do this please; assuming it is possible?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Where accomodation is provided under a licence agreement, not a tenancy!

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Thank you for using Just answer. I will be assisting you today.

Please note:

My replies will be in writing as i am not available for telephone calls.

I may not respond straight away if i am away from my desk but will respond as soon as i am able to.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website alone.

If you request a telephone call with an expert it will be with whichever expert is available. Customer services will undertake this. This service is subject to additional charges and with whichever expert that is available at that time.

If you accidentally select a call you will need to contact customer services.

We as experts only provide general legal advise. We do not offer legal representation or client/solicitor retainer.

If your enquiry requires me to read and advise on documentation this is a premium service subject to additional costs of which you will be advised.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider contacting any of the following organisations:-;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can

If you are a leaseholder you would firstly need the consent of the landlord for any substantial alterations to the premises. Is the current use of the premises residential and is it in a block and are there other businesses. Its hard for me to advise as a whole, generally you will need to approach the landlord for permission and then the council for permission for any conversion and licensing as they will have their own specific requirements.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Well, presume I bacome the landlord of two adjoining buildings/premises on a street end, one classified as a club and one as a residence; the adjoining wall being at the back of the club.
Could I then knock through from the club to the residence?
Or would that still require permission from the council?And regarding the council, is it a particular type of permission or form I need to submit or request please?

You would need permission for change of use from the local council yes.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That isn't what I asked.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am not wanting to change the use of either. Just wanting to put a door in

They are currently two separate buildings, you could not just knock through from a club into a residence without some form of permission from the council given its current use. You asked me if you needed some form of permission or request and i advised you would have to instruct the council. If you are keeping the use the same you wont need to change the use, however given the set up permission would be needed. Please remember we only provide you with general advice and without knowing the exact details and proposals my advice is very general.

Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience: Expert
Inderdeep and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you