Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I am supposed to be moving in to a flat today, confirmed

Customer Question

I am supposed to be moving in to a flat today, confirmed move in date 19th. We have gone down, only been given one of the two keys as landlord has the other, various things are damaged, whole flat is filthy. There is even a used sanitatry product in the bin. Can I end my rent if I can’t move in?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes we have told the estate agents, landlord and handed the key back because we can’t move in and with the landlord having one set of keys don’t feel safe doing so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We weren’t given an inventory, key to the windows, code to enter the building, information on meter reading or key to this room
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 13 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

You cannot end the lease however, you can ask for alternative accommodation to provided and paid for by the landlord whilst the necessary steps are taken to bring the property up to the necessary standard. You would need to speak to the landlord/agent in the first instance about that. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If the rent specifies a move in date of the 19th and this is not met is this not the landlord forfeiting the contract?
Also with the two keys, she has one set so could gain access as any point.
The front door is also not sturdy, for example I can push the lock and it moves as it is not properly installed?
No the fact it’s not ready does not mean the contract is forfeit. Regarding the keys, the landlord is entitled to a set. Finally regarding the front door you can discuss this your landlord. I trust this assists