How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 5895
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My ex has left me and we currently are in an ongoing and

This answer was rated:

Hi,My ex has left me and we currently are in an ongoing and painful dispute with regards ***** ***** up the property. Currently waiting for a force the sale order to go through.She has instructed a lawyer but I’ve realised that the law firm previously acted for me on a related matter.I’ve asked them the impact of the conflict etc and whether it affects and my data.They’ve now done the checks (which I’m told are meant to be done before as a matter of process) and said that usually a check would be conducted before a client instructs them but they have ‘a new software system’ so had to check ‘the old system.’On doing this they have found someone else’s name which is the same as mine (coincidentally) and released all their data to me.What would you do in this scenario - would you file a complaint / gdpr complaint and request they notify the unrelated person?I’ve lost all confidence in them and don’t want to deal with them.Thank you

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
if there has been a data breach, then certainly report that to the ICO information commissioners office.

You can also report the breach and the lack of adequate checks for conflicts to the legal ombudsman and the solicitors regulation authority, because it appears to be an act of negligence.

The links are attached below.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you - my concern is by delaying that it will be used against me at a later date but I agree with what you’re saying 100%

Nothing you can do about a delay if there is one

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for your help!

Your welcome. Good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry quick one - could I request not to deal with the law firm because I don’t have confidence with them handling my data

Certainly, you can dismiss them or refuse to deal with them because if the data breach.