How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 248
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

I am joint owner of a house with my partner. Our

Customer Question

I am joint owner of a house with my partner. Our relationship has broken down. What are my requirements with the mortgage comapny
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bedfordshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t taken any we are not married he doesn’t work I pay all the bills as well as mortgage I need to,leave
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cannot take a phone call
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer i will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

Please note:

My replies will be in writing as i am not available for telephone calls.

I may not respond straight away if i am away from my desk but will respond as soon as i am able to.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website alone.

If you request a telephone call with an expert it will be with whichever expert is available. Customer services will undertake this. This service is subject to additional charges and with whichever expert that is available at that time.

If you accidentally select a call you will need to contact customer services.

We as experts only provide general legal advise. We do not offer legal representation or client/solicitor retainer.

If your enquiry requires me to read and advise on documentation this is a premium service subject to additional costs of which you will be advised.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider contacting any of the following organisations:-;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

If you are jointly named then you are jointly liable. You would not want to be in a position where no payments are being made and the property being at risk or repossession.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don’t want you to call me as it’s puts me in a difficult position
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

You should write to your former partner with a proposal for either a sale of the property and agreement on the division of the net proceeds, or a buy out. You can negotiate terms using a process called mediation and get help to agree the terms.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

I am not available for calls, please read my initial response my replies are in writing and any pop ups are generated by the website.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Their is no option to make an agreement as he doesn’t want to sell the property his words are ‘I would rather let the house be repossessed then you get anything’ I live in the house in question as I have no where else to go.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
basically you are saying I am still liable for my share of the mortgage if I leave?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Are you still there as I just keep getting pop up,messages about a phone call for £44?
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

Yes jointly owned assets have a joint liability so you both have the liability.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

I am still here however i cannot respond immediately

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Why the hell,have I just been charged £50 and £5
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

Im sorry but i am just the legal expert giving you advice. I am trying to do this but you are demanding instant replies from me and querying charges. This is an issue you have to take the customer services, i am just the expert answering your question remotely

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

You are more than welcome to complain to customers services about the fees but please just let me answer the question you have asked and allow me time to respond. If you do not want the service i can opt out.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am simply questioning a payment of £50 and what my options are regarding a jointly owned property
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

I cannot assist with payment enquires that is something the website deals with, please contact them about that. I am just a legal expert who answers the questions for you and i will do that for you.

If parties jointly own a property they are both jointly liable for the debts of the same. If the parties cannot reach an agreement for the sale or division then the next step is legal proceedings. You would want to issue a county court claim for a county court judgement, If this is granted you can then request an order for sale of the property.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have to stay in the property and do all that
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 7 days ago.

If there any domestic violence you can obtain protective orders such as a non molestation order and occupation order preventing the return of an offender. If there is no domestic violence then the decision is yours as to whether you want to remain at the property however legally you are both liable for the debts of the property.