Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My tenant (room-let only) locked herself out and called me

Hi. my tenant (room-let only) locked herself out and called me to come and let her in. I was in the middle of a meeting, but i left and was on my way when she texed me saying she has entered thorugh the window breaking the window. However she refused to acknowledge her liability to fix the window. Instead because I had forgotten to secure her security deposit she claimed 2 times the amount plus the solcitor fees from me amounting to £2400 in full and final settlement. As i had little chance of winning that case I agreed to the settlement. However I am wondering if she entered through the window without my permission, can i charge her with a criminal law? She did not rent the whole property but only rented 1 room with 2 other tenants.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: london
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no i didnt file anything then
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my neighbour helped her get in and she is a witness to the broken window

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

No you cannot charge her with the criminal law, for a number of reasons it is not something a lay person can do you could report it to the police who might charge her but that is not the same as you doing so. In addition, they would not in fact charge her because it is not a criminal offence to break into what amounts to a place you have a legal right to be in. She was renting from you that gives her rights of occupation including the right to re-entry when she accidentally found herself outside. She does have civil liability regarding the window but you conceded that point and are not pursuing it. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you. That was informative.
Happy to help take care
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I am
Wondering if I should write to the court that this case has been settled out of court or should I leave it to the claimants solicitor to inform the court? Thank you
You can write to the court just in case. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank u
Happy to help take care